What is VoiceThread's data retention policy?
VoiceThread does not delete the active accounts, enrollment data, or content owned by that account except at the account owner’s or license administrator’s request. An active account is one that has been logged into in the past year.
The Administrator for an active license has the ability to delete any account or content under that license at any time. Learn more about what it means to be part of a VoiceThread license.
If an account is deleted, any content belonging to that account is also deleted. This includes VoiceThreads and comments.
If an account is part of a license that is managed by someone else (a school, university, or business), it remains active for as long as the license is active or until an administrator deletes it. Once a license has lapsed, accounts under that license will be inaccessible, but all content will be preserved indefinitely unless the organization has a license agreement stating otherwise. If the license is reactivated in the future, disabled accounts that were not deleted will be re-enabled.
Applies to accounts that are not members of any purchased license.
- 1 year of inactivity: The account is locked, and resetting the password is the only way to regain access.
- 1 year after account lock: If there is no password reset and login since lockdown, the account has been inactive for 2 years at this point. An email will be sent with a warning that the account will be deleted in 30 days.
- 30 days after email warning: The account is deleted permanently.
Members of a purchased license
Applies to users who belong to a VoiceThread organization that has been purchased and is in good standing:
- Never accessed: Deleted 1 year after creation.
- Accessed, but owns no content: Warned after 1 year of inactivity and deleted 30 days later.
- Owns content: Warned after 3 years of inactivity and deleted 30 days later.
Note: If you have an institutional license and this policy does not meet your needs, please contact us to discuss purchasing an extension on deletion of inactive accounts.
Applies to organizations that were purchased and then allowed to lapse without removing associated members.
- 1 year after expiration: Content created by any accounts still associated with the license will be archived. It can still be reactivated during this window if needed, but it will no longer be visible to anyone who may still be trying to access it from an active account.
- 5 years after expiration: Organization and all accounts still associated with it are deleted permanently.
Once content or user information has been deleted from VoiceThread, it is no longer visible to end users. The following describes how long different types of data are kept on VoiceThread’s servers.
- After 30 days – Full database backups are discarded. Database backups allow full reconstruction of the VoiceThread service for any point in time in the event of a disaster or malicious content removal. All personally identifiable information (PII) is removed, but anonymized data is kept for internal performance analysis.
- After 90 days – All deleted data fully purged.